In developing our transport strategy, we have sought opportunities to limit the impact of the construction of Sizewell C on the local highway network wherever possible.
The key elements of the strategy are to:
- Move material on and off the main development by rail or sea where practical;
- Build on on-site accommodation campus to reduce the number of workforce journeys;
- Provide park and ride facilities at key locations on the A12 for workers to travel by bus to the main site;
- Operate working patterns that minimise workers travelling at peak times;
- Provide direct bus services to and from the site – such as from Ipswich and Lowestoft, with pick up services for workers using the East Suffolk rail line;
- Provide local bus services from Aldeburgh and Saxmundham via Leiston;
- Enhance and extend the existing network of local cycle paths; and
- Provide road improvements where necessary to mitigate the impact of the development.
Details of traffic modelling can be found in Section 6 of the Summary Consultation Document and additional analysis will be provided at a later consultation.